1.06.2013

[52 in 52]

It's a day late but here's my first 52 in 52 book review, along with some thoughts on my first week of this journey!

Picking my first book proved to be quite a challenge. A (shallow) part of me thought if I'm doing this so publicly, I should start with a classic. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I would never stick this whole thing out if I bit off more than I can chew from day one. I would get frustrated and walk away from another project. So instead I went for something on the fun and light-hearted side.

My first book was Reid Mockery's Fifty Shades of Beige. As you could probably guess, it's a parody of the popular Fifty Shades of Grey series by EL James.

The book starts off strong, riffing on some of the inconsistency and plot holes in the source material. Instead of following the story of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele,  Beige follows the story of Bobby Beige and Annis Thesia. I have to admit, Annis Thesia would have been a good name for Steele. She's not exactly a thrilling and dynamic character. As the Amazon description reads, the two main characters are "complete idiots". And I don't think that could be more accurate. I won't repost it here, but I highly recommend clicking on the link above to read the full description.

While Mockery's work was witty at first, the same type of wit grew old and by the end of the mini-novel I was a touch bored. I had initially planned to read all three in Mockery's trilogy but have since altered my plans.

I won't lie, the first book was worth spending $3 and a few hours of my life on. $9 for all three is a bit much, but $3 was perfect. Beige is a great way to ease back into reading: it's fast, funny, and easy to read. I'm excited to continue on my journey and maybe work up to those classics.

On deck is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum!! Make sure to come back next Saturday (no really I mean it this time) for more :).



Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment