2.05.2011

Farmer's daughter

So I have this dream. I want to grow my own food. Not all of it. Just some of it.

I would grow apples, berries, melons, pears & cherries. I would loving raise squash, peppers, onions, sprouts, spinach, arugula, garlic, artichoke, asparagus, beans & peas. I would cultivate lavender, basil, dill, rosemary and chamomile.

Mom's cherry tomatoes back home in the Land of Peaches

I've tried to grow things on my windowsill. They grow for about a semester and then I head home or on vacation or somewhere and my plants slowly die. This year I didn't replant any of them when I came back from Christmas. I didn't see a point, really. I know this summer I'll be gone for at least 10 days on family vacation, plus some time before. I'll be gone for 10 days over spring break as well.

If I could plant things outdoors, the sun would shine on them, the rain would water them and the bees would pollinate them. I could grow beautiful flowers along with all of the stunning food I could ever want. Without access to an outdoor gardening space, my options are limited until I stop moving around so much. I love my apartment. I really do. I just wish it had a balcony or something where I could put my plants. There is this tempting little roof area right outside my window but the apartment management is pretty strict about not putting anything on it. Maybe I could hide a plant or two out there while I'm gone....

I don't know that I want a full farm. Just a little garden for my family and myself.

"The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses."
Hanna Rion

No comments:

Post a Comment