6.17.2011

Suits, puppies and traditional markets: Korea 5

It's been a whirlwind couple of days. In fact, I think this is shaping up to be a whirlwind kind of trip. I'm finally adjusted to the time difference--only 13 hours difference between here & the land of the peaches!

Our Korean adventure started off with orientation. After orientation and a brief culture/language class for the 1/3 of the group that is not of Korean heritage we made our way back to our hotel. Roomie and I ended up joining in with a larger group to wander around the neighborhood. We found a traditional Korean market. I didn't have my DSLR so I couldn't take many of the shots I really wanted. But hey, that's just an excuse to go back! I'll fill you in more once I head back with the Canon in tow. You'll just have to be a little patient :).

In our neighborhood there are a good handful of stores that sell puppies. It's so strange! There are just all these puppies in the windows for sale. Some places sell kittens as well. Most of the dogs are small breeds--yorkies, dachshunds, etc. I'm pretty sure I saw some Westies at one store which made me so happy. I don't know how I feel about the puppy stores just yet. I feel bad for the puppies--they're so small and stuck in these little glass cages for people to gawk at all day. But at the same time, they seem to be treated well. Speaking of animals, while we were wandering around the neighborhood by school, we passed a cat cafe. According to the sign it's a place where you can be with cats. I pointed it out and another student commented that they also have dog cafes. Apparently these cafes just have cats or dogs, based on their theme, roaming around them. You can play with the animals while you drink your coffee. I am not leaving here until I visit one--cat or dog will do just fine.

Yesterday after orientation the two program directors from Fordham took us to Itaewon. Itaewon is the foreigner district here in Seoul. There's an American military base nearby so there were Americans everywhere. There were also a ton of American restaurants & stores. We ate lunch at a little Chinese restaurant. We had to take our shoes off at the door and eat sitting on the floor. It was such a fun experience (even though I was in a dress & struggled with the sitting on the floor bit). After lunch we stopped by a tailor that custom makes suits. I didn't get a suit yesterday but I know where it is so I can always go back. I may actually even get some custom shoes.

Today's shaping up to be quite the adventure as well with a guided tour of one of the palaces here. More on that later but first I have to finish getting ready for the day.

Annyong-hi kyeseyo!! That's goodbye in Korean (see I am learning things).

No comments:

Post a Comment