8.06.2013

[fresh]

Now that the Bar exam has been taken and I have months to wait for results, one of the most common questions I hear is "now what?" I can't count how many people have asked me over the past week what I plan to do now.

At first I didn't really know. I did, but at the same time I didn't.

You see while I was studying I created a to-do list entitled "After the Bar" and it goes a little something like this:

  • Get a job
  • Pay off all debts
  • Move out of parents' house
  • Lose 50 pounds
I mean, that's great and all, but where do I start??  I put no thought into that last question, preferring to defer an answer until after the test.

Then the test ended and I trotted off to spend a few days with my friends.

Then after a few days with friends it was time to head back to Georgia with Mom. Naturally I couldn't be expected to answer deep questions while riding in the car so I delayed a little longer. Nor could I be expected to answer them immediately upon my arrival home. Afterall I was tired and needed just one more night off.

This morning I woke up and realized that I could delay no more. Well, in theory I could just keep working retail, go into management, and wait longer to make a decision. But that doesn't really fit for the vision I had of my life post-bar.

So today after wandering aimlessly from room to room I finally grabbed my laptop and sat down. After a while I had cast a fairly large net.

This is the hardest part though: waiting. I want a job and I want it like yesterday. If I could go into a firm tomorrow and start working that'd be ideal. But that's not how life works.

You know that saying that good things come to those who wait? It's true.
Via.

Unfortunately it's easier said than done, especially when you're in the middle of waiting. Of course waiting can't be done alone; you have to keep working towards your goal while you wait.

In the midst of applying and waiting, I've added a few other elements to keep me busy (after all, one can't apply to jobs all day everyday).

For starters, I'm restarting the 52 in 52 challenge. The new week one is this week so be expecting a book review again this Sunday. I'll also be bringing back the Friday lists and trying to get y'all caught up on what I did this summer (besides study of course, because who wants to read about that?). In many ways I'm starting fresh.

And I couldn't be more excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment