5.08.2011

A good ending to a bad day.

Yesterday was a rough day. It was just not my day.

It all started when I went to toast some bread to go with the hummus I was making for a friend's barbecue. After 5 minutes under the broiler, I checked the bread. It was still wasn't cooked. So I set the timer for another 5 minutes and went back to cleaning out my fridge before I leave Krabby Land. The next thing I knew, smoke was pouring up through the heating elements on the stove. I opened the oven door and immediately filled my entire kitchen with smoke. I slammed the oven shut, opened every window in the apartment & propping open the door. I turned every fan in the apartment on high, including the vent above the stove. I managed to avoid setting off any smoke detectors but at the cost of filling the hallway of my building with smoke & burnt smell (my apologies to my neighbors). After a while, I was able to open the oven & remove the severely burnt bread.

When I went to make the hummus, things didn't get much better. By that I mean I might have burned out my blender and caused that to start smoking too. Open went the windows and on went the fans once again. It was at that moment when I blew out the candle I had burning to help with the smell. I was in no mood to tempt fate. I slept with the windows open last night which it turns out was a very wise choice; the apartment no longer smelled like burnt food when I woke up this morning.

By the time I left for the cookout, I was beyond ready to relax. The cookout provided the perfect way to do just that. The cook was quite talented and the company was perfect. We sat outside around the fire for hours, talking, playing Apples to Apples and eating wonderful food. Since I'm leaving Krabby Land tomorrow, I was so thankful to hang out with some of good friends again before I left. The cookout made a bad day into a wonderful one.

I don't think I'll be doing any cooking today. I'll leave that up to the cooks at local restaurants & indulge in a little takeout instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment