5.23.2011

A snag in the road

So remember how I said I was going to South Korea? Then remember how I said that I was having trouble getting the money?

The aforementioned financial problems have taken an unfortunate turn. Suddenly it's not looking like I'll be able to get the money in time to leave for Korea. Bummer.

No seriously. I cried earlier. I'm really really bummed. Of course I'm not ruling out a last minute miracle just yet. But this is totally one of those moments where you teeter awkwardly on the brink, not sure which way you're going next. It's also one of those moments when the teeter makes you question whether you've picked the right path for your life. Maybe you completely missed the ball and this is His way of letting you know. Then again, maybe it's a test of faith: will you still believe in a miracle even when one seems so unlikely?

To be honest I'm not sure what I'm going to if I end up falling onto the not-going-to-Korea side of the fence. I've begun weaving my safety net, just in case I need it.

There are two little bright spots in all of this mess.

First, I'm leaving for Germany and Austria tomorrow with my family. We'll be there for 8 days. While I won't have any spending money, it'll still be the perfect way to escape for a week. I'll reevaluate when I get back. But for the next week, I'm on vacay. No work. No school. Total bliss.

The second bright spot was a moment of pure child like joy this evening. I was taking the trash bin down to the curb when a little frog hopped across my path. Growing up we always had frogs in our yard and we always tried to catch them. I chased the little guy around the front yard & finally caught him. Cupping the frog carefully in my hands I headed back up to the house to show the family. It took a few minutes to get everyone's attention and I eventually had to come inside the house. I was trying to stay outside in case of possible froggy escape. Froggy did escape. Into our laundry room. Froggy's escape launched a squealing frenzy of recapture activities. Mostly Kara & I ran around the laundry room with one of the dogs all competing to be the first to capture the poor scared frog. I caught him & passed him off to Kara. Kara showed our parents & then we freed the little thing in the front yard close to where I had found him. For 5 minutes nothing else mattered. It was just froggy bliss. Until he peed on me. Then I just wanted to wash my hands. Totally worth it.

Sometimes all you need is a little fun & adventure to make a bad thing good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment