1.07.2012

Starting over

Sometimes in life things just don't work out the way we plan them.

That's exactly what happened with the whole short story thing I tried out here on the blog. I have to confess--it wasn't my favorite. I'm going back to regular ol' blogging instead!!

2012 is going to bring a lot of interesting changes. There are some smaller ones; for example I'm doing a 365 photo project. I'm leaning towards posting the photos & their accompanying stories here instead of on Facebook.

Then there are the really super big changes like graduating from law school and being done with school FOREVER. I know, I'm super super excited. I'm ready to be working full time instead of going to school. This phase of my life has been fun but it's time I move on to the next one. Now I just have to finish my last semester, pass the Bar exam and most importantly find a job. It's strange to think that in a few short months I'll be done with pretty much the only thing I've ever known--school. No more long breaks or classes or homework.

My last true Christmas break was a unique but wonderful one. Dad had heart surgery the day after I finished finals so I flew home in a hurry to be with the family. The first week of my break was spent almost entirely in the hospital. We only left to eat and sleep. Thankfully the recovery went better than expected and he was released the Friday after surgery. The next week we had a ton of family time. We all sat in the living room watching old family videos, football games and playing board and video games. After a few days Dad felt well enough to go on some short outings so we'd all troop to the bank or the post office then return home so he could rest. The time ended up being a blessing in disguise. The family bonded even more and for once I was able to just relax. Christmas was so fun and relaxing as well: we spent most of the day lounging around in our pajamas just enjoying each others company. The presents are fun but honestly the best part of Christmas is just sitting around the tree all day then having a big delicious ham dinner. Every year my job is to set the formal dining room table (which we only really use on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas). I do take a good deal of pride in my tablescape and incorporate decorations into it.

For the first time ever I didn't really celebrate New Year's Eve. NYE has never really been my favorite holiday so I was perfectly content to help take down the Christmas tree and watch old episodes of the Big Bang Theory.

Kara and I ended the break with a sister road trip back up to DC/Baltimore. We took a more scenic journey, winding through Tennessee and Asheville, NC. The trip included a drive through two beautiful national forests, a quick pit stop at a Piggly Wiggly in Ducktown, TN and a stay in Hickory, NC. We got in yesterday after picking up the birds from my Uncle and Kara's boyfriend from his apartment. After helping Kara move back in I drove back up to Baltimore and returned our rental car. As much as I miss my family I am excited to be back in my apartment. I love settling back into a routine, as unusual as it may be. The feathered ones (& Mugsy) appear to be settling in nicely as well.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment