11.06.2012

[adjustments]

One of the fun things about moving to a new place is adjusting to how everything works. 

Perhaps I used fun a little too loosely in that sentence. 

Allow me to explain. 

You see, the new apartment lacks central heating and air. Working the window A/C was easy enough. 

But then it got cold outside and management turned on the radiators. For the first few weeks, everything went swimmingly. The radiators got warm, but not too warm. I was actually a bit concerned that they wouldn't be warm enough when the weather really got cold.

It turns out I had no reason for concern.

Last night we had a freeze warning. Last night the radiators made my apartment so warm that I opened a window at 2 AM. I left that window open all day. My apartment was still too warm when I walked back in this evening.

I decided that it was high time I figure out if there was a way to maybe not sweat to death in my own apartment. I mean, other than leaving my windows open 24/7. 

I don't really know anything about radiators. I know that nothing should touch them, except adorable kittens. I know that they can start fires if something does touch them. But that's it. That is the sum total of my knowledge of radiators. 

Until around 5 this afternoon. 

Apparently, even if the landlord determines when your heat goes on, you can control how hot the radiators get. You see they have these little knobs that you twist. So I twisted and twisted and twisted. Then I waited and waited and waited. Apparently I twisted the wrong way the first time, because the radiator got disturbingly warmer. I really didn't think that was possible (or safe). Finally I uncovered the radiator's secret. 

Naturally I went to adjust the other 2 (I have 3 total).

Naturally neither of the other radiators allowed me to adjust them. 

The one in the bathroom doesn't even have knobs, which will be problematic during the whole "getting ready" process that occurs after my shower. I actually think that process will just be moved to the office/gym/bed/living room, at least until the radiators calm down again. 

The one in the kitchen at least has knobs. However, despite all my strength training & healthy eating, I'm still not strong enough to turn the silly thing. Of course I didn't discover that until I had awkwardly wedged myself between the fridge and the window in a contortionist-like attempt to reach the knob without resting my thigh against the radiator (which just seemed painful). 

So for now, the office/gym/bed/living room radiator is successfully turned all the way down. I think the other two radiators can more than get the job done. 

At the end of the day, I don't think I'm going to need the personal space heater I bought on Amazon last year, no matter how cold it gets this winter. 

Also, I still think I'm a little too warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment