1.31.2011

Kiwi & blueberry salad

Lately I've been trying to expand my palate. Every time I walk into a grocery store, especially Whole Foods, I'm greeted by the most beautiful array of produce. The colors are so bright & vivid and the shapes are so unique and beautiful. I love the produce section. But there's a problem...I don't really like produce. More accurately, I don't think I like produce. What's a girl to do when her eyes say fruit but her stomach says candy?

Trick her stomach!

The most recent issue of one of my favorite magazines, Real Simple, had a list of the 30 healthiest foods. Even better, they had ways to eat those foods. The recipes were simple and involved just a hint of things I already knew I liked. Two of the fruits on the list were kiwi & blueberries. I decided to go ahead and give these two fruits a try. I'd never purchased either before so I was slightly nervous. I picked out 3 kiwis, just in case I hated them. For a similar reason, I bought the smallest amount of blueberries I could. I don't want to waste food. I was shocked to find that I loved the kiwi recipe. I even modified it to add blueberries to the mix.

Without further ado, here's the yummy recipe!

1.Peel & slice a kiwi.
2. Add some blueberries to your sliced kiwi.
3. Drizzle the kiwi & blueberries with some honey. Don't drown the fruit in honey--you just want a hint of honey. 
4. Top the fruit & honey with some shredded coconut. To keep this healthy, choose unsweetened shredded coconut. Avoid the kind that's been unnaturally sweetened.
5. This is the best part of the process: ENJOY!! Savor the sweetness of the honey combined with the tartness of the berries and a hint of the tropics from the coconut. It'll satisfy your sweet tooth without that guilty feeling that follows chowing down on a candy bar. Plus you get antioxidants, vitamin C & calcium from the fruit. To quote Rachael Ray, yumm-o!
What do I love about this recipe? It'll satisfy your sweet tooth without that guilty feeling that follows chowing down on a candy bar. Plus you get antioxidants, vitamin C & calcium from the fruit. To quote Rachael Ray, yumm-o!
All done!! No I didn't just sweep the fruit into the trash. I actually ate every last bite! Next week I will definitely have to pick up more than just 3 little kiwis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment