3.01.2011

New life developments!

Last Thursday I was at a happy hour and a friend began asking me questions about a study abroad program I had done last summer in Aberdeen, Scotland. We got to talking about summer plans and student loans as many graduate students are prone to do. She mentioned that if she went to Aberdeen, she would probably graduate early since she couldn't justify the student loans.

I began to think about my own steadily climbing student loans. Worrying is a more accurate statement for what I began to do. While stressing about loans, my friend's comments kept worming their way into my thoughts. Then something crossed my mind:
What if I graduated early?
During my classes today I just kept thinking about the idea of an early graduation. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense for my life. I would be able to:

  • Save money
  • Get done with school faster
  • Get the Bar exam done faster (probably)
School and I have this love-hate relationship. I love learning but I'm ready to be done with the school portion. I'm ready to apply everything I've been learning throughout 4 years of higher education and 2 years of law school. I'm ready to learn in a more hands-on manner. I'm ready to move forward.

Of course I didn't want to get my hopes up until I was sure that graduating early was actually feasible. Thankfully after a little research I discovered that after this semester ends I will be 18 credits shy of graduation. EIGHTEEN. The minimum amount per semesters to be a full time student is 14 credits. So what do I do? Take extra courses to fill another semester? Go part time for one or both semesters next year? But then what do I do with my spare time? Not to mention the finances: in no way, shape or form do I want to take out additional loans just so I could stay in school for another semester. It just doesn't make sense.

With that said, I am proud to officially announce that as of this moment I will be graduating from law school next December! That means in a year from now, I will be a law school graduate. The Bar is still up in the air: I have the option of taking it in February or July 2012. Depending on what job I get, where that job is and other similar considerations, I will take the Bar in either February or July. I'm leaning strongly towards February; who wants to drag out anticipation of the Bar any longer than necessary?! Certainly not this woman.

Of course plans can always change, but as of now I'm planning on graduating a semester early.

1 comment: